Wednesday, June 06, 2007

A New Era

Of course it's a cliche, but today really is the first day of the rest of my life.
Yesterday marked the final day of nearly 31 years of teaching math. I am now a retired gentleman of leisure. As yet, I have no specific plans for living in retirement. I want to first wind down and really come to terms with the fact that I no longer have to go to work.

Really, right now I don't feel anything different. Yesterday, I left school at 12:30, but so did everybody else. I suspect that the actuality of retirement is still two and a half months away.
I will certainly miss my fellow teachers. Most of them are terrific people. The early morning coffee meetings and lunch time will be the most missed things.

I'll miss working with and being around kids. On the other hand, there are a lot of them I'm glad to see the back of.

NCLB and PSSA will surely NOT be missed. In my humble opinion, these things are ruining teaching.

I'm looking forward to having the time and opportunity to expand and explore current and new interests. I think it will be nice to have the chance to do other things.

No comments: