Monday, July 10, 2006

Customer Service, A Concept Fading


Let's add Staples to the list (along with Don Pablo's, Eat-N-Park, Sears, Weis deli, Circuit City... ) of businesses I've walked out of recently because there was very poor customer service.

In Staples this morning, I was attempting to buy a computer desk. A bearded, middle-aged employee wheeled the box up to the front near the checkouts. He asked if this was all. I, in turn, asked if he could tell me where some other merchandise was located. He said he didn't know and walked away. I foolishly assumed he was going to ask someone else the location of these items. He began talking with another employee and remained so doing for several more minutes without so much as a glance back in my direction at which point I walked out.

By the manner of these employees, you would think it was difficult to find people to fill these retail and restaurant jobs. Perhaps it is. That, however, would be a surprise to me unemployment being what it is. I am even more surprised that employers tolerate this shoddy performance.

No comments: