Monday, August 11, 2008

miGhtyDocs: v1ru8 or virus?

For the past 3 or 4 months I've been learning to use my iPod Touch for more and more things. The iPhone 2.0 software has given me even more ways to use this brilliant device, allowing more things to be done offline.

Over the weekend, I found via RSS a new app that I thought would be a great addition, miGhtyDocs. This app claims to cache your Google Docs documents for viewing offline. I located miGhtyDocs in the iTunes app store where I was surprised to notice the developer's name, v1ru8, which looked startlingly like virus to me, but despite a little uneasiness, I thought that coming from the app store, it should be OK. And, it was free.

I downloaded and installed miGhtyDocs on my Touch, opened it, enterd the Google Docs login info, and all my documents appeared and could be opened and read. Next, I turned off the wi-fi and tried to read a document using miGhtyDocs. It didn't work. I got "Error 1099", whatever that means. I dismissed that dialog and watched the progress indicator spin on to no avail. A quick Google of "mightydocs" revealed that this was not unique to me. This app apparently does not work.

I hope this wasn't some sort of virus infection or scam to steal Google login data. If it's legit, I hope they get it fixed and working as it should. I think it would be a nice, useful iPhone app.

Zemanta Pixie

1 comment:

Primie said...

I have the same concern as you did. So I braved it to go into v1ru8.net to check out. Seems like he Is a student who develops a couple of apps for it iTunes. The app works offline but it must cache the document first. I really hope it ain't a scam.