Sunday, March 29, 2009

Villanova vs Pittsburgh - A Classic

Villanova Wildcats logoImage via Wikipedia

Last night I had the opportunity to enjoy one of the most intensely exciting college basketball games of all time. East region top-seed Pittsburgh and three-seed Villanova squared off in Boston for a berth in the 2009 NCAA® Final Four.

I've seen thousands of games in my lifetime and this is without question one of the best ever. Being from western Pennsylvania and having chosen Pitt as one of the final teams in my bracket, I was cheering on the Panthers. From that perspective, unfortunately, the last second heroics of 'Nova's Scottie Reynolds sent the Panthers home on the short end of a 78-67 score.

It is one of those games about which you'll hear the cliche, "It's too bad somebody had to lose." That, however, is truly the case here. I have seldom seen both teams in any contest play with such intensity and with such abandon. Bodies soared through the air, crashed to the floor, collided with each other. The pace of the game was exhausting just to watch. Neither team left anything on the court.

I want to thank all those players, coaches, and officials for staging a contest that will long be remembered by those of us lucky enough to have seen it.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

1 comment:

TopSurf said...

I agree, it was a fantastic game. My husband kept saying the same thing, too bad someone has to lose. I will say though that we are NOVANATION fans. Pitt played a great game. It still gives me goosebumps when I think about it today.