Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Web Browsers Color Rendering

I learned today that Web images don't look the same on the same system in all browsers. Color rendering is processed in different ways by the various browsers.

Apple's Safari browser does the best job of rendering deeper, richer colors. It's reported the next version of Firefox (v3) will render better color.

My principal browser is Camino, an OS X browser that uses the same Gecko engine as Firefox but functions similarly to Safari. I also use Firefox for some activities which are handled nicely with FF extensions.

This web site tests how well your browser renders colors. I first visited with Camino and the image appeared like the third example at the bottom. I then opened it with Safari and the image looked like the first one.

I like Safari, it's very fast. But Safari is not supported by some sites I use frequently: Google Documents and Spreadsheets, Wikispaces, or editing in Blogger. Safari is now available for Windows as a beta version.

Firefox is a somewhat slower browser with a not-very-Mac-like interface. Camino, though, not perfect, is kind of the best of both worlds.

No comments: