Sunday, June 25, 2006

Hot! Hot! Hot!


On the tables at El Camposino are two bottles of hot sauce, one red, one green. They are labeled in Spanish, but I could tell they say something about habaneros, which I understand is a very hot pepper. As I ate my lunch, I studied these two bottles.

After eating, I still had most of the complimentary basket of tortilla chips left. Curious about these sauces, I sprinkled just a few drops of the red on some of the chips. No chip had more than a drop or two of hot sauce on it. One of the waiters, observing this, commented that the sauce was really hot.

Oh, my! "Really hot" was not sufficient! I ate three chips with sauce on them, then I was throwing plain chips and water down my throat in a desperate attempt to quell the fire.

I feared sampling the green sauce. I may be wrong, but I believe that green sauces are hotter than red. In which case, using the green sauce might prove fatal.

(Image source http://www.sks-bottle.com/Hotsauce.jpg)

No comments: