Saturday, June 24, 2006

"How It's Made"

There's a Canadian series broadcast on Discovery Science Channel called "How It's Made". It's a half-hour show and it may cover 4 or 5 different products, so obviously, there is seldom great depth in the explanations of their production processes.

It is somewhat interesting, however, and the fast paced segments certainly aren't going to bore too many people.

Most of the segments are produced in factory settings. It's sometimes surprising to me how many parts of the processes are still performed by humans. I would have thought lots more of the tasks would be performed robotically.

When I see these people working at their jobs, I can't help but think how boring and unsatisfying such work must be. These people mostly perform the same repetitive, narrowly-defined task over and over again all day, everyday.

I am very fortunate to do something that is mentally challenging and stimulating, which I find interesting and fulfilling.

No comments: